ASKI Reclamation Ltd. Is Now Hiring!
Health and Safety Officer
About Aski reclamation ltd.
Aski Reclamation Ltd. is a new business conceived of by the Saulteau First Nations and supported by the BC Oil and Gas Commission (OGC). The OGC is supporting Saulteau and Aski with capacity funds and an initial 5 projects. There are 9,000 abandoned and suspended wells that require reclamation services in the northeast BC area. Each well is a possible reclamation job for Aski Reclamation. Aski started with a pilot project in fall 2018 and in 2019 moved into construction of a wetland and the installation of native plants. Since 2019, Aski has been working to build capacity through a reclamation installation training course in the fall and establishing work on 3 mine sites and 2 oil and gas pipeline locations.
About the Role
The Project Biologist contributes to the reclamation team by providing their subject matter expertise and scientific know how, to collaboratively develop project plans aimed at returning disturbed land to its equivalent land, use after it has been impacted by erosion, mining, oil and gas activities, flooding, commercial development, or other processes.
This position will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of all health and safety programs, policies, and procedures. The Health and Safety Officer will contribute to the provision of safe and welcoming workspaces by administering safety programs that promote the safe use of equipment, tools, and vehicles on all worksites.
- Implement and enforce Health and Safety policies (e.g., accident reporting process, etc.)
- Assist in the coaching, mentoring and implementation of the HSSE programs in the office and in the field
- Advise on provisions to minimize safety risks
- Collaborate with managers to monitor compliance and identify safety issues
- Keep records of health and safety-related incidents and propose corrective actions
- Fill out Worksafe BC forms and manage claims
- Incident investigations and reporting
- Liaise with and report to official regulatory bodies on OHS matters
- Track monthly safety stats and man hours
- Conduct company and site-specific orientations for new employees, contractors and site visitors
- Conduct weekly site safety meetings
- Participate in morning toolbox meetings
- Conduct site inspections and audits
- Intervene in any unsafe activities or operations
- Providing positive leadership and motivation to all staff on health and safety programs and personal safety performance
- Use and continually develop health and safety leadership skills
- Ability to travel to and from the work sites
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Skills
- At least one year experience in a Health and Safety role
- Willing to obtain Certification as a National Safety Construction Officer (NCSO)
- Gain in depth knowledge of BC Occupational Health and Safety Regulations (OHS Regs), Industry Best Practices (IBP’s) and industry Recommended Practices (IRP’s)
- Valid safety certification in: OFA Level 1 (minimum), WHMIS 2015 and H2S
- Have excellent oral and written communication and advisory skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Ability to maintain corporate records and ensure confidentiality
- Ability to solve problems, make effective decisions, resolve conflicts and manage time effectively
- Holds a current, valid Class 5 Driver’s License and clean Driver’s Abstract
- Criminal Records check
- Work in the field for extended periods of time, in various weather conditions
- Working in remote locations, with access by truck, ATV, boat
Additional Information for applicants
- This is a part-time role; please inquire on available shift(s)
- Remuneration includes a group benefits package including a pension plan for full-time permanent positions
- Aski follows Mistahiya Development Corporation hiring policies and procedures.
- We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
- Position will be considered open until suitable candidate is selected