Reports To: Manager of Accounting and Finance
Saulteau First Nations Mission
We strive to be the Best Governed Nation, one that is proud, culturally strong and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. We remain proudly determined.
The Controller is responsible for ensuring the accounting records of Saulteau First Nations provide for accurate and timely financial statements and analysis. In addition, as Saulteau First Nations is a government office, the Controller is responsible for ensuring the Nation’s accounting transactions are in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Standards. The controller should also have a working knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards as the Nation has subsidiaries which report in accordance with IFRS.
This position requires an individual with a high level of professionalism and must be comfortable working in a multi-stakeholder environment. The individual is experienced at creating a healthy departmental culture while ensuring consistent results from their team.
The professionalism and confidentiality that is expected of a controller is second nature to the you. As a manager, you enjoy your role as a coach, mentor and culture leader, taking pride in the success and development of your team members. You are known for consistently delivering timely and accurate financial statements. You have experience developing and managing processes and internal controls within an accounting environment. You see yourself as a collaborative partner leveraging your process and financial acumen to assist other departments with their strategic and operational initiatives.
You have a passion for delivering quality financial information to members of the leadership team.
Duties and Responsibilities
The role of controller includes the following responsibilities:
- Hires, directs, manages, and supervises direct reports: Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll
- Ensures direct reports are appropriately trained and mentored
- Ensures financial statements, accruals and account reconciliations are prepared in an accurate and timely manner
- Manages payroll and benefits
- Reviews and analyzes revenues and expenditures to identify opportunities for operational improvement
- Ensures accounting department policies and procedures are followed
- Recommends additions and changes to accounting department policies and procedures
- Ensures compliance with regulators for insurance and tax payments
- Works with budgeting and planning team to support analytical and reporting needs
- Provides information to support funding proposals to supplement SFN revenues sources
- Prepares year-end working files for external auditor
- Liaises with government agencies and departments on behalf of SFN, including Indigenous Services Canada, FNHA and other government bodies
- Ensures a positive image and professional working relationship for SFN across all stakeholder groups
- Designated CPA - required
- Must have a minimum of 5 years experience managing an accounting or finance team
- Alternatively, will also consider those with 5 years experience in public practice accounting, preferably with experience auditing in accordance with PSAS, IFRS and/or ASPE
- Preference will be given to those with experience in a First Nations environment
- Strong knowledge of accounting standards and reporting frameworks – PSAS, IFRS and ASPE
- Experience with the accounting system Adagio or Sage 50 is considered an asset
- Detail oriented with strong analytical, time management and organizational skills
- Well-developed problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Must possess a high level of moral judgment for handling confidential information
- Work is performed primarily in the office with hours of work set as 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and part days on Friday
Position will be posted until suitable candidate is selected.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.