Job Title: Maintenance Worker/Equipment Operator
Reports To: Facility Maintenance and Public Works Supervisor
Saulteau First Nations Mission
We strive to be the Best Governed Nation, one that is proud, culturally strong and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. We remain proudly determined.
The Maintenance Worker/Equipment Operator is a split role and contributes to the success of the Saulteau First Nations (SFN) by ensuring well-maintained capital assets for SFN members and community, through regular maintenance and upkeep of roadways and SFN community houses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts general road maintenance/earthworks in SFN community, including landscaping, waterline installation and related seasonal work.
- During winter, clears snow and ice around SFN homes and office structures.
- Haul gravel in the gravel truck.
- Maintains a clean and safe workshop.
- Cuts, maintains and delivers firewood supplies to SFN community.
- Land clearing and leveling as required.
- Performs light maintenance on SFN equipment and vehicles, including completion and/or scheduling of routine maintenance and repairs as required.
- Complete work orders as assigned and scheduled, or otherwise directed to do so.
- Provides valuable completion information on work orders.
- Laisses with members of the Maintenance Team to ensure adequate time and resources are available to complete assigned work.
- Mow Lawns, weed-whack, general clean up and yard maintenance tasks.
- Recycling and garbage removal.
- Furniture moving and set up in buildings.
- Completes minor plumbing or carpentry jobs, general home repairs, etc.
- Receives daily work orders and provides supervisor with status updates of work progress throughout the day. Adapts schedule to accommodate for unforeseen tasks as directed throughout the day via cell phone.
- Assists Maintenance department as required and as employee’s skillset permits.
- Other duties as assigned.
Adherence to Safety Regulations and Policies
- Follows approved safety procedures.
- Comply with plans, specifications, according to the BC Provincial Building Codes and/or Federal Building Codes and personal qualifications.
- Maintains a positive image and professional working relationship for the Saulteau First Nations with industry, government, other First Nations, non-governmental organizations, staff, community members and others.
- Complies with SFN’s safety policies and procedures, ensuring all activities are conducted in a safe manner and adhering to safety in the workplace and Work Safe BC regulations.
- Conducts safety inspections of the work area to identify any hazards and inspects equipment to ensure proper functioning, correcting any deficiencies and/or reporting any potential hazards to the appropriate department manager and health and safety representative.
- Conducts general safety training for other maintenance workers, as required.
- Ensures that the individual’s work area is kept in a clean and presentable manner.
Qualifications and Skills
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License; heavy trailer endorsement is an asset.
- Preference given to a Class 1 or 3 BC Driver’s License.
- Successful completion of Heavy Equipment Operator training is an asset.
- Completion of Grade 12 with a minimum of 3 years applicable work experience
- Experience in wastewater management
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Ability to perform physical work including lifting up to 50lbs, bending, standing, and stooping; able to work in variable environments including dusty, hot and cold temperatures.
- Ability to operate and use a variety of tools and equipment; aptitude to learn and use new equipment and tools as needed.
- Work is performed primarily during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursdays.
- Travel may be required within SFN community and surrounding community.
- Works in variety of environments including outside and extreme weather conditions.
- On-call or overtime hours as approved by Manager
*Preference given to those that have previous experience running the following equipment:
Excavator, Dozer, Loader, Mini-hoe, and Skid-steer*