Summer Childcare Program – Summer Student
Saulteau First Nations Mission
We strive to be the Best Governed Nation, one that is proud, culturally strong, and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. We remain proudly determined.
Summer Childcare Program Summer Students are responsible for the childcare, well-being, and safety of children ages 6-12 enrolled in a summer childcare program held at the New Beginnings House (NBH).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and delivers enticing, fun, interactive, and age-appropriate programs and activities for the children (such as nature walks and other outdoor activities as weather permits)
- Responsible to ensure program supplies are available and ready for each day’s activities
- Tracks registration forms and report on attendance
- Prepares food and snacks daily; ensures any identified food allergies are avoided
- Partners with other NBH staff for program/activity initiatives and ideas
- Evokes learnings through tradition and culture where possible
- Ensures adequate time for program set up and take down, and post program clean up
- Participates actively as a SFN representative in related community activities as assigned
Required Qualifications and Certifications
- Minimum requirement of student aged 16 or above
- Standard First Aid; Canadian Red Cross Babysitting Course is a preference
- Food Safe Level 1 Certification
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Police Information Check - Vulnerable Sector
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of First Nations culture and traditions
- Strong interpersonal, communication, time management, and problem-solving skills
- Positive attitude and the ability to exercise good judgement
- Ability to work in a team or independently without constant supervision
- Positive attitude with creative and dynamic leadership skills
- Ability to provide and promote positive values and social benefits
- Shifts are Monday to Thursday 7:30am to 4:00pm and/or 8:00am to 4:30pm; overtime hours may be available as approved by the supervisor/manager.
- Travel may be needed within surrounding community, including travel to SFN community.