Perm/contract: Temporary, Full Time (4 positions available)
Reports to: Seed Project Manager
Location: Moberly Lake, BC
Level: Junior to Intermediate
Hours: 20-40 weekly
Salary: $19.00 / hour start
Special requirements: attention to detail, ability to work independently
ABOUT ASKI RECLAMATION
Aski Reclamation is a rapidly growing First Nations-owned business located in Moberly Lake BC focusing on reclamation, restoration, and environmental services with their team of enthusiastic professionals. Aski is owned by Saulteau First Nations. Having community roots means Aski is meaningfully invested in environmental protection and ecological restoration. By combining business with heart, history, and experience, we deliver solutions to our clients and integrate science and First Nation knowledge with industry demands and best practices. We believe this approach to be the future of environmental consulting in Canada and are paving the way forward.
Aski has a large portfolio of projects, which range from species at risk habitat reclamation to designing eco-cultural restoration planting prescriptions. Some of the benefits of working with us include, but are not limited to:
- highly competitive wages
- comprehensive benefit packages
- paid professional association fees
- professional development opportunities
- diversity in project portfolio
Aski Reclamation LP is looking to hire four (4) temporary employees for January – February’s 2023 seed cleaning program. This opportunity includes the cleaning of plant materials for future restoration projects of the company. This individual will report to the project manager for this program, along with updates to the seed specialist and general manager where necessary.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The seed cleaning role is a technical role supporting our seed collection department. This role will include a number of activities revolving around Aski’s seed collected in the field in 2023. This includes drying, sorting, cleaning, storing and testing of the seed. The candidates need to be detail orientated and able to work independently on repetitive tasks. The overall seed program supports our nursery and industry in the restoration of sites with native species.
- Technical skills in accurately identifying plant species in office
- Follow procedures and guidelines to ensure a representative sample of genetic variation is obtained
- Follow outlined procedures to process and store seeds to ensure viability Work with the health and safety coordinator on a regular basis to identify risks
- Weekly submission of receipts and daily tickets (time and safety) to the project administrator and assisting in assuring the field team is submitting daily tickets
- Assisting in community engagement programs at Saulteau First Nations, including but not limited to open house events, Aski quarterly updates, youth engagement activities, elder engagement, and more
- Promoting cultural awareness around seed collecting
- Preferential to Class 5 or 7 Drivers Licence with a clean abstract
- Preferential if the employee can provide OFA Level 1 and WHMIS 2015
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Must be physically fit and capable of lifting, walking, bending, and carrying activities that occur in the job
- Willingness to meet the safety standards of WorkSafe BC
- Willingness to meet Aski's internal policies and procedures related to HR, health, and safety, and corporation
- Willingness to participate and complete the Aski/NAIT training provide
Teamwork and cooperation - the ability to work in the field with small groups in a productive and positive manner that supports the culture of the company and the learning of colleagues
Self starting - ability to work unsupervised and still maintain productivity and integrity. Looks to go above and beyond for the benefit of the project and planning of future years' collection programs.
Planning and Scheduling - ability to work with the project biologist and support team to ensure plans for plant material collection are meeting seed maturity windows, and scoping out potential areas for future collection.
Reliable - work to ensure the job requirements and responsibilities are being met in a timely manner without compromising quality.
CONTACT US TO APPLY