Muskoti Elementary School Teacher
Saulteau First Nations Mission
We strive to be the Best Governed Nation, one that is proud, culturally strong, and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed now and in the future. We remain proudly determined.
The primary focus of the Muskoti Elementary School (MES) Teacher is to foster the intellectual, educational, and social development of children enrolled in our pre-kindergarten to grade 3 school. Providing play-based tools and environment for students, enhancing readiness for further education.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program and Student Support
- Teaches kindergarten to grade 3 school children in the classrooms, including lesson planning, delivery, and evaluation of the classroom program.
- Prepares, administers, and grades tests and oral presentations.
- Manages student behavior including age-appropriate classroom discipline.
- Creates lesson plans that integrate competencies, goals, and objectives into learning through play and hands-on, in adherence with BC Ministry of Education grade-level requirements.
- Teaches letter recognition, phonics, numbers, and awareness of nature, and science to Pre-K to grade 3 children.
- Introduces children to mathematics, language arts, science, social studies, careers, art, and applied design skills and technologies utilizing various school utilized programs and teaching methods and approaches to enhance learning.
- Incorporates the cultural curriculum developed by the Education and Cultural Programmer into daily teachings.
- Prepares report cards for each term and participates in parent/teacher interviews.
- Administers CAT-4 testing.
- Creates Individual Education Plans to meet needs of specific children, meeting with parents and the Education team to develop student centric goals. Reviews and adapts learning goals throughout the year to enhance child's progress.
- Assists in preparing and arranging lesson materials and displays.
- Assists with office and secretarial duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- BC Teachers Federation Certification
- Experience with primary children in a learning environment is an asset
- Undergoes evaluation by the First Nations Education Steering Committee every 5 years
- Valid Child Safe Certification
- Valid Food Safe Certification
- Ability to relate well with children and parents, working as part of a team and promoting positive and collaborative staff relations
- Knowledge of FN history, language, traditions, and culture, recognizing and respecting all cultural diversity
- Work as part of a team and successfully interact with a variety of personality types
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High level of moral judgment for handling confidential information
- Ability to provide a Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check
- Work is performed primarily in the Muskoti Elementary School facility with hours of work set as 8:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Monday through Thursdays and 8:15 a.m. to 12:15pm on Fridays.
- Travel may be required within the SFN community and surrounding community.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.