Manager of Human Resources and Occupational Health and Safety
Saulteau First Nations Mission
Saulteau First Nations (SFN) strives to be the Best Governed Nation, one that is proud, culturally strong and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. We remain proudly determined.
As a key player on the HR team, the HR Recruiter focuses their attention on finding the right applicants for the job and ensuring their first interactions and onboarding with the Nation are a positive experience. Additionally, the HR Recruiter performs other related administrative duties to support the People and Information Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides consistent, centralized support to Department Managers in the recruitment of new employees.
- Responds to internal and external job inquiries; redirects inquiries to the appropriate person within the team.
- Ensuring adherence to SFN hiring policy, coordinates the recruitment process including:
- Confirms positions have the proper approvals from respective managers.
- Verifies job descriptions are up to date, accurate, and appropriately reflect the role.
- Prepares and manages job postings, advertises jobs on a variety of platforms.
- Collects and consolidates applications and coordinates short listing with the Department Manager to assesses candidate knowledge, abilities and suitability.
- Arranges interview dates and times; contacts applicants.
- Works with Department Managers to ensure interview questions are developed.
- Performs reference checks and provides meaningful insight.
- Explains the Nation’s benefits package to potential candidates.
- Prepares letters of offer and seeks appropriate signatures.
- Liaises with the respective manager of a position to develop an onboarding plan.
- Contacts IT provider to set up a new employee’s account and access.
- Conducts new employee orientation, ensuring all letters, forms, and policies are reviewed, signed, and understood.
- Ensures new employees receive the SFN Human Resources Employee Handbook
- Maintains confidential human resource files.
- Enrolls employees into benefits and pension plans.
- Schedules the probationary performance review meetings; prompts managers to complete their reviews.
- Collects feedback on employee’s onboarding experience for continual improvements.
- Maintains records of recruitment data & statistics: length of time a position was posted, number of applicants, turnover rates, etc.)
- Assists with various administrative duties within the Department.
- Provides a shared service to Saulteau First Nations commercial entities as required.
- Supports and works collaboratively with other members of the People and Information department.
- Participates actively as a SFN representative in collaborative partner networks and in related community activities.
- Participates in SFN sponsored community events.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Business Administration, Human Resources Management, or another related field coupled with 1 year of experience in recruitment is preferred; other combinations of experience and education may be considered.
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Ability to provide a suitable Criminal Records Check
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality in the handling of information
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills - oral and written
- High attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Approachable and professional attitude
- Knowledge of Saulteau First Nations is an asset
- Work is performed primarily during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- Occasional travel may be required within SFN community and surrounding community
- $30 to $41.60 per hour based on qualifications and experience