Natural Resource Sector Aboriginal Liaison
Reports To: Manager of TREP and Lands within SFN, but also to the program committee made up of First Nation and NRS.
Saulteau First Nations Mission
We strive to be the Best Governed Nation, one that is proud, culturally strong, and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. We remain proudly determined.
The role of this position is to act as bridge between the Oil and Gas Commission (OGC) and participating Natural Resource Sector (NRS) Agencies 1 and the First Nation. The role will be one of enhancing the relationship bystrengthening the communication between the OGC and the Nation. They would interact with Community to learn of land use and sensitive areas and traditional knowledge to educate the Oil and Gas Commission as part of cultural awareness.
Working with the community members, Lands office and Chief and Council, the Liaison will help recognize needs of the community regarding communication enhancement between the Commission, NRS, and the community. They will workwith the OGC, NRS, and the First Nation to develop and strengthen the communication in area identified by the community. The project may include information sharing opportunities, participation in field inspections, monitoringassignments, training, job-shadowing, complaint review processes, and other activities relating to regulatory oversight of natural resource development.
Example: One of the areas recognized by the First Nation in need of better communication is in area of C and E.
This person would be the key contact for C and E concerns that are brought forward by Saulteau First Nations (SFN) member s. They would act as the key person to initiate concerns through the OGC complaint process and start a fi le. They would help arrange a site visit with C and E inspector as required and collect information requested by the community such as: photographs and notes of the surrounding terrain conditions and nearest water courses. They would manage and organize all SFN Compliance concerns through the development of structured compliance folder and provide updates to Elders during Elders Council Meetings, leadership at Council meetings, the community at Band General meeting and other mediums like SFN newsletter. This position will also aid the Saulteau Lands Department in replies to Land Referrals.
Other Related Duties
- Participate in all SFN sponsored community events
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively with the community, government, and industry representatives
- Be able to exercise tact, diplomacy, and discretion
- Willingness and ability to effectively work and adapt to change
- Takes the initiative to identify new challenges and opportunities
- Can identify priority activities and remain focused on the highest priorities
- Uses critical thinking skills to solve problems and achieve effective solutions
- Good computer skills and able to give power point presentations
- Knowledge of Treaty Rights
- Community Knowledge of Land base and areas of concern
- Knowledge of Oil and Gas Industry
- Valid class 5 driver's license with clean drivers abstract
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised
- Office work is performed primarily during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursdays.
- The posting is for one position that will accommodate a seasonal rotation schedule, 7 hours/day
- Travel will be required and will be paid on a per/km basis
- Role is an excellent opportunity for any young person wanting to further develop their knowledge, awareness,and skills for both their community and Natural Resource sect or.
- SFN remuneration includes a group benefits package including a pension plan for Full-time Permanent Positions.
- For consideration, interested persons should submit a cover letter and resume with three references.
- Preference will be given to persons of Aboriginal ancestry in the event of equal qualifications.
- We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Please note other requirements of this position: Criminal Record Check, Valid Drivers License, Oath of Confidentiality
- Position will be posted online until suitable applicant is selected.
The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job posting do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. They may be changed at the discretion of the employer.