Saulteau First Nations is currently recruiting for a:
Teachers Assistant and Cultural Programmer
(1 year Term Position-Maternity Leave Coverage)
Saulteau First Nations Mission
We strive to be the Best Governed Nation, one that is proud, culturally strong and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. We remain proudly determined.
The primary focus of this position is to assist the Kindergarten Teacher in fostering the intellectual and social development of children in the kindergarten program and to incorporate cultural language and teachings into the existing program. This position works under the guidance of Primary Teacher in the classroom; however, reports directly to the Education Coordinator, assisting in the education, development and training of students who need additional support to learn and succeed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program and Student Support
- Assist the Kindergarten Teacher at the Muskoti K4 with subject area, projects and activities relating to the program, including preparing lesson plans and delivery to children.
- Creates language and cultural content lesson plans, including teaching the Cree language and cultural content to K4/K5 students and evaluating learnings.
- Assists small groups or individual students with the speech and language development, determining the most effective teaching approach specific to the needs of the student.
- Assists in the supervision and training of students in the development of life skills and performance of daily activities.
- Monitors for safety of the children, including supervision at playtime, gym, lunch and recess.
- Provides ongoing and regular communication about the program to the supervising teacher. Information about a student’s learning development and progress is treated as privileged and only shared for the purpose of program planning and in the context of that planning.
- Maintains a daily journal/record of student activities, as directed by the teacher.
- Oversees classroom activities, delivers lesson plans and ensures continued student learning in the event of the teacher’s absence.
- Assists in developing, arranging and supervising curricular and extra-curricular activities within and outside the school building, including field trips.
- Assist in preparing and arranging lesson materials and displays.
Qualifications and Skills
- Early Childhood Education Certification or 2+ years experience with primary and pre-kindergarten children in a learning environment.
- Valid Child Safe Certificate.
- Maintains up-to-date testing for Tuberculosis and provides proof of immunization.
- Ability to pass a Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector checks.
- Knowledge of Cree language and history is preferred; basic knowledge of FN community including history, traditions and culture is an asset.
- Work as part of a team and successfully interact with a variety of personality types.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess a high level of moral judgment for handling confidential information.
- Work is performed primarily in the school facility with hours of work set as 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursdays.
- Travel may be required within SFN community and surrounding community.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- This is a temporary, 1 year term position. It is a wonderful opportunity to gain experience working in a small class setting.
- For consideration, interested persons should submit a cover letter and resume and three references.
- We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Please note other requirements of this position: Valid driver’s license, Oath of Confidentiality
- Position will be posted online until suitable applicant is selected.
Position will be considered open until suitable candidate is selected.
The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job posting do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. They may be changed at the discretion of the employer.