McLeod Lake Indian Band
Emergency Management Coordinator
The Emergency management coordinator will work to improve community and safety by addressing the following four areas.
• Mitigation and Prevention: this involves activities which reduce or eliminate the effects of an emergency.
• Preparedness: Actions taken prior to an emergency or disaster to ensure an effective response. This includes community education, emergency information, training, preparing plans, operation centers, and communication systems.
• Response: Involves actions taken to respond to an emergency.
• Recovery: includes the activities required to return the community to its pre -emergency state.
The Emergency Management Coordinator will provide high-level project coordination and develop of culturally safe and sustainable disaster response/ recovery plan.
This position works in a matrix environment, which requires strong and effective working relationships with colleagues, superiors, communities, and health service partners and organizations.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE, BUT NOT RESTRICTED TO:
• Facilitate and coordinate development of Nation based Collaborative Emergency Management Agreements with other first nations communities.
• Liaise with government, emergency services and media.
• Establish develop and maintain relationships other first nations communities and Municipal & Regional Districts Emergency Management sectors.
• Capacity building and community development-work with education and employment director to schedule and resister community members and contractors for emergency management related employment opportunities.
• Community education-personal a community emergency preparedness and community
• Facilities response planning at a Nation level that supports communities during an
• Emergency Plan development, implementation, and revision, including coordination
community emergency teams and developing and leading emergency exercise.
• Mange emergency preparedness response and capacity
• Determine volunteer/ employee training needs as necessary and develop, implement, and
monitor a training and exercise plan.
• Brings Nations’ representatives together to review grants and proposals that can support
strategic partnership initiatives for various programs including, but not limited to:
o Pandemic Planning
o Emergency Plans
o Emergency Operations Centers and Training
o Emergency Support Services
• Write proposals to seek funding for emergency preparedness, mitigation, and recovery,
forest fuel management and education.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Safety and/ Emergency Management Certification or a combination of the below skills,
experience, and education:
• Proven knowledge of emergency preparedness as it relates to prevention, preparedness,
response, recovery, and resiliency within First Nations or remote communities
• Proven ability to conduct gap analysis and fill the gaps in community needs regarding first
aid, safety and emergency preparedness
• Proven skills regarding pandemic planning and safety procedures
• Ability to research, review, and consolidate large masses of information and then facilitate
engagement sessions to relay the information and transfer knowledge effectively
• Ability to build strong working relationships with partnering First Nations communities,
regional municipalities, communities, and service partners and organizations
• Detail oriented with strong analytical, time management, financial management and
• Well-developed problem solving and conflict resolution skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
• Must possess a high level of moral judgment for handling confidential information
• Hold a minimum Class 5 BC driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract
• Level 3 First Aid certificate
• Travel throughout the Nation, including remote locations up to 25%
• Ability to work flexible hours and available to be on-call and respond to emergency
request with short notice.
• Unexpected overtime as it pertains to emergency situations
Please submit resumes and cover letters to:
McLeod Lake Indian Band General Delivery, McLeod Lake BC V0J 2G0
Attention: HR Advisor