The purpose of the Saulteau First Nations Chief and Council is to act on behalf of Saulteau First Nations
Citizens and protect their Treaty 8 Rights and Aboriginal Rights and Title.
Chief and Council, as leaders of the Saulteau First Nations, are committed to working together to govern
the Nation and to preserve the cultural and traditional values, and support the health and prosperity of
all Citizens and future generations.
Chief and Council will abide by certain values, codes and ethics when acting on behalf of Saulteau First
Nations and its Citizens:
• Maintain a consistent focus on the wellness, best interests and priorities of the Saulteau First
• Support and accept the involvement of all Citizens;
• Respect and work to enhance and preserve the cultural heritage, language, and traditions;
• Protect Treaty 8 and Aboriginal Rights and Title;
• Respect various perspectives, opinions and beliefs;
• Wisely and sustainably use a variety of resources to achieve the goals of Saulteau First Nations;
• Act as leaders in a manner that honours the principles of:
- Honour (Hope, Respect, Faith, Love)
- Family (Kinship, Good Child Rearing; Ultimate Protection, Cleanliness)
- Mentorship (Sharing, Humility, Obedience)
- Self Discipline (Strength, Happiness, Thankfulness)
- Self Sufficiency
• Protect the safety of all Saulteau First Nations’ Citizens and their right to feel safe in their homes
and in the Community.
Chief and Council will provide the leadership needed for Saulteau First Nations to be the Best Governed
Nation. A Nation that is proud, culturally strong and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, Chief and
Council will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future.