Early Childhood Education Assistant – Summer Student
Child Care Center Supervisor
Saulteau First Nations Mission
We strive to be the Best Governed Nation, one that is proud, culturally strong, and self-sufficient. As stewards of the land, we will ensure that the best sustainable practices are followed, now and in the future. We remain proudly determined.
The primary focus of this position is to assist the teachers in the Early Childhood Education (ECE) program, focusing on the education, development and training of children who need additional support to learn and succeed and assisting the Child Care Center Supervisor with office and other related duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
Early Childhood Centre Support
- Assists small groups or individual children with the development and learning in a play- based environment, as directed by the ECE teachers.
- Assists children in the development of life skills and performance of daily activities.
- Assist with program preparations.
- Contributes to the planning of activities in the Child Care Center and participates in the implementation of plans.
- Monitors the safety of the children.
- Assists with planning, preparing and provision of nutritional meals within food safe regulations, including clean-up.
Other Possible Duties
- Assists in cleaning of the center.
- Assist with Special events of the Centre.
- Assists with office and secretarial duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Certifications
- Minimum requirement of student aged 16 or above
- Experience working with children between the ages of 0 to 6 years is an asset.
- Early Childhood Education Assistant certificate an asset
- Immunized for all routine vaccines according to routine schedule in BC or willingness to obtain prior to starting work.
- Valid Child Safe Certificate or willingness to obtain before starting work if needed.
- Valid Food Handler/Food Safe certification or willingness to obtain if needed.
- Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sector is required – Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Clearance preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of FN community history, language, traditions, and culture is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Positive and creative attitude.
- Ability to work in a team and successfully interact with a variety of personality types.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality in the handling of information.
- Ability to provide and promote positive values and social benefits.
- Hours of work are Monday to Thursday from 8:00am to 4:30pm, and are performed at the Cree-Ative Wonder Daycare
- Outside supervision of children, especially in the land-based learning aspect of the program at Pemmican grounds/cabin area, during various types of weather.
- Periodic travel for fieldtrips, training, or other relevant work.
- Lifting or moving up to 40 lbs may be required.