Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports To: Board of Directors
About Mistahiya: Mistahiya is the parent company overseeing a number of businesses owned by the Saulteau First Nations (SFN). Our current businesses provide services in the areas of civil construction, oil and gas well reclamation and remediation, card-lock fuel, temporary labour and security. The role of Mistahiya is to ensure each business is managed to be profitable for many generations to come, have strong and transparent governance, provide long-term benefit to SFN and reflect the values of SFN. Mistahiya, and its group of companies, is located near Chetwynd BC.
Job Summary: The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for providing strategic leadership and oversight for the Mistahiya group of companies by working with company leadership and the Boards of Directors to establish and execute the strategic plan, provide consistent governance and ensure long-term benefit is provided to Saulteau First Nations.
Leadership and Stakeholder Relations
· Participate with the Board in developing the strategic plan including, vision, mission, values and goals for Mistahiya
· Collaborate with each business unit General Manager to develop 5-year strategic and annual operating plans
· Implement the strategic plan, ensuring:
· Financial sustainability of existing subsidiary businesses;
· Opportunities for future business are identified and developed;
· Oversight of employees and business partners, assessment of risks, and community engagement; and
· Timely recommendations are made to the Board on financing, human resources, policy matters, and potential risks and their impacts to the Mistahiya group of companies.
· Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect Mistahiya.
· Act as a professional advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization’s activities.
· Foster effective teamwork between the Board and the Chief Executive Officer, between the Chief Executive Officer and staff, and between the subsidiary companies.
· Ensure regular communication with stakeholders, including the members of Saulteau First Nations, to keep them appropriately informed of the work of the Mistahiya group of companies.
· Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, government leaders, strategic partners and other organizations to help achieve the goals of Mistahiya.
· Communicate and promote the Mistahiya group of company’s services, capabilities and value to the community, and look for ways to leverage the strengths of partners to seize opportunities and develop a stronger and more diverse range of services.
· Build and maintain a high profile for the Mistahiya group of companies, acting as the organization’s spokesperson and looking for opportunities to represent the organization at various tables, ensuring Mistahiya is seen as a leader and a reliable, trusted partner.
· Provide recommendations for potential Board Members for Mistahiya group of companies.
Operations, Administration, and Finance
· Develop annual business plans that incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of Mistahiya. Work with the Board to develop a budget and ensure adequate funding is in place to operationalize the plan.
· Manage the finances of Mistahiya and provide financial oversight to its subsidiaries, including budget, cash-flow, and borrowing activities.
· Ensure Mistahiya administrative and operational infrastructure and capacity is appropriate to meet strategic plan objectives.
· Ensure the effective stewardship of Mistahiya’s financial and non-financial resources, including the management, oversight, and reporting on human resources, finances, information, material resources, equipment, and facilities - emphasizing health and safety of employees, partners, and the community.
· Ensure that subsidiary organizations have effective processes in place to develop business opportunities to secure long-term economic sustainability of the Mistahiya group of companies.
· Ensure that subsidiary organizations have effective project oversight practices in place to ensure a positive reputation as a leader in service delivery, while nurturing client relationships and to providing leads to new opportunities.
· Formulate new or revised policies and procedures, operational plans, and new program proposals, directions, or initiatives.
· Develop a shared services model between Mistahiya and its subsidiaries, overseeing the evaluation, planning, and implementation of shared services where these are the most efficient and cost-effective.
· Ensure that the services provided by Mistahiya contribute to the Mistahiya’s mission and reflect the priorities of the Board.
· Monitor the day-to-day delivery of services to maintain or improve quality, ensuring the operations of the Mistahiya group of companies meet the expectations of its stakeholders.
· Identify and evaluate the risks to Mistahiya’s community, property, finances, goodwill, and image, while implementing measures to mitigate and control risks.
Human Resources Planning and Management
· Recruit, select, support and develop staff that share in Mistahiya’s values and have the appropriate technical and personal abilities to help further Mistahiya’s mission. Provide effective leadership to employees, contractors, and consultants so that the full potential of these resources is realized.
· Empower staff to identify innovative approaches that enhance Mistahiya’s strategic and operational performance.
· Foster a culture focused on safety and the mission and values of Mistahiya and the Mistahiya group of companies.
· Establish a safe, positive, healthy, and engaging work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
· Work to develop an environment where teamwork is paramount, ensuring all team members are working toward a common vision and strategy.
· Ensure that Boards and staff are afforded appropriate professional development opportunities to maximize their contributions to the organization, particularly as the organization grows and matures.
· Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review.
· Ensure succession planning and the coaching and mentoring of staff within all of the Mistahiya group of companies, reporting annually to the Board on the status of Mistahiya’s and the business units corporate succession plan.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or a related field from an accredited university
Master’s Degree in Business Administration may be considered to be an asset
Skills and Experience
The Chief Executive Officer should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
· Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile, and/or tolerant in a dynamic work environment, while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
· Behaves Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure that her/his own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
· Builds Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of Mistahiya.
· Communicates Effectively: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner, using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
· Creativity & Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
· Develops the Business: Work with the senior management of the subsidiary companies to ensure positive relationships are being managed to secure new business opportunities.
· Focuses on Stakeholder Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external stakeholders to meet or exceed their expectations.
· Fosters Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
· Leads: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
· Makes Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency, and risks while making clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
· Organized: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information, and activities.
· Plans: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
· Raises Profile: Look at strategic partnership opportunities and forums that ensure a voice at the table of partner organizations as well as recognition for the Mistahiya as a leader.
· Solves Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
· Takes Managed Risks: In using new and innovative approaches, identify the risks involved and have a plan in place to take the bold leap forward into new territory where risks are considered manageable.
· Thinks Strategically: Assess options and actions based on trends and conditions in the current business environment that are consistent with the vision and values of Mistahiya.
The requirements and responsibilities contained in this job description do not create a contract of employment and are not meant to be all-inclusive. They may be changed at any time at the discretion of the Board.
Core Values - Every employee is expected to demonstrate commitment to the following core values: